melinda

Book Muse

I like to read books, lots and lots of books.

Slightly Wicked
Tamar Ossowski
Through the Ever Night
Greetings from the Flipside: A Novel
Rene Gutteridge, Cheryl McKay

When the World Was Flat (and We Were in Love)

When the World Was Flat (and we were in love) - Ingrid Jonach This was an amazingly different Young Adult book. Different in a very good way. It captivated me from the first chapter and didn’t disappoint throughout the book. Do not let the science fiction genre title on this book scare you away!Lillie lives in a small town with her Mom and has a small group of friends. Over the last few months she’s been having nightmares that feel very real and terrifying. But she doesn’t mention these to anyone because it’s kind of weird when you’re 16 and talking about bad dreams right? It’s big news when Tom moves to the small town as there are very few new people in her school ever. Lillie feels very drawn to him but is rebuffed almost immediately. Yet they keep having interactions and at each one she feels that he may have the key to telling her what exactly is going on with her.She eventually finds the truth and has to deal with that and how it affects the rest of her life and those around her since it changes things forever.I loved the way this was written – I didn’t mean to finish it in one night but it just happened because I needed to know what was going on. I thought that Lillie was a very relatable character, I felt for her as she tried to figure out her feelings. Feelings of being so awkward around a boy she liked, trying to figure out what the hell was going on with her friends and dealing with bitchy girls in high school.But on top of that traditional YA part of the book was the sci-fi part of the book. I don’t read sci-fi. Like ever. But this melded extremely well together and I loved the way it was done. I was fascinated throughout. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves YA books but wants something a little bit different.I received this ARC in return for an honest review.