melinda

Book Muse

I like to read books, lots and lots of books.

Slightly Wicked
Tamar Ossowski
Through the Ever Night
Greetings from the Flipside: A Novel
Rene Gutteridge, Cheryl McKay
The Fault in Our Stars - John Green I just am overwhelmed with how much I loved this book. Will try to put words together to form a real review tomorrow. After a night of sleep I think I can form coherent thoughts on this book. I had heard great things about this book but did not even know what it was about until I saw it on sale at audible.com. I read the blurb and thought oh it's one of those books - purposefully meaningful, obviously meant to make you cry. I had heard such good things that I decided to try it anyways.From literally the first paragraph I was hooked. I knew nothing good was going to come from this book, the characters had to be doomed. The subject matter is teenage cancer patients, obviously not going to be a funny, light hearted book.However, this book is hilarious. There are parts where I literally laughed out loud (mainly at the literal heart of Jesus). I've heard some criticism from people who say the teens are too well spoken and there just are not kids out there like that. But there are. I've known them.I brought my own perspective into reading this book like everyone does. My perspective is as a previous young cancer patient myself. So the situations all felt extremely personal. The characters reactions to people fawning all over them, the annoying support groups and the horrible nurses - all conversations I've had with my own friends. Only here in the book they were much funnier and more poignant of course.The writing was amazing, I laughed and cried at the same time and fell in love with Augustus Waters just like Hazel Grace did. The narrator who did the audible version was also amazing, I definitely felt like these characters were alive.This book will go on my favorites shelf but it will be some time before I can bring myself to read it again. I cried through the last hour of listening and then for another hour after that. It touched very close to home for me. What an amazing book.