melinda

Book Muse

I like to read books, lots and lots of books.

Slightly Wicked
Tamar Ossowski
Through the Ever Night
Greetings from the Flipside: A Novel
Rene Gutteridge, Cheryl McKay
A Really Awesome Mess - Trish Cook, Brendan Halpin A Really Awesome Mess is told from 2 different points of view. Emmy is struggling with being adopted and fitting into what she perceives as her perfect family. She’s dealing with being a minority in a white family and trying to become super thin in any way possible. An incident at school leads to her being accused of bullying and having the police involved.Justin is dealing with some depression and anger issues at his divorced parents. His father walks in on him in a compromising situation and things don’t go well from there. Both Justin and Emmy end up at The Heartland Academy, a reform school that is meant for them to help deal with their issues. There, they meet a cast of characters with their own issues and we get to see them interact with other teens as well as therapists and teachers. I found this book to be a really funny and touching book. Parts of the story were hilarious as we got to see the kids interact with each other and what they thought of the others issues. Parts were intensely touching as we see exactly why Emmy was accused of bullying and why Justin is so angry.Seeing the teens come together and form a close group was the highlight of the book for me. They come together to help each other, first in not so healthy ways and then eventually in slightly better ways. Having them interact at the Fair in particular highlights each of their issues and how they are actually seen by other people.I think this is a great book that teens could get a lot out of – it’s funny enough they should want to read it all the way through but with enough of a lesson in perception versus reality that they could learn something at the same time.I received this ARC from Netgalley in return for an honest review.